A Special Offer to All Alabama Chess Coaches
Summer is a great time to start thinking about upgrading your chess game, chess program and plans for the chess training you will be doing when school resumes in the Fall.
Two years ago ACF and the Alabama State Department of Education launched the Alabama Chess in School (ACIS) Initiative as a pilot program. After a year of operation, it is proving its success and growing. Now ACF would like to offer something to all Alabama scholastic chess coaches.
The Deal (extended through July 31, 2016)
In recognition of ACF's leadership, several leading vendors of chess software have offered complimentary memberships to chess coaches in our states through our organization. These include:
- Learning Chess [learningchess.net]
- Regular annual membership price: $20
- ACF Chess Coach member price: Free
- Coaches will be able to add up to 20 free student licenses for their class this fall (possibly more on request)
- In addition to access to all lessons you will be set up as teacher with access to the Learning Management System to monitor student progress and administer student licenses.
- Regular annual membership: $70
- ACF Member & Chess Coach price: free for one year
- ICC is an established global leader in adult online chess play
- ICC introduces new features intended to expand their appeal to the scholastic chess population.
- Regular Membership: Basic: Free; Premium Gold membership: $50
- ACF Member & Chess Coach price: Basic: Free; Premium Gold membership: Free
- Note: This is a coach membership and not intended for student use.
- Coaches can acquire gold memberships for students through chesskid.com
Which product is best for me?
The three products are quite different. Learning Chess is primarily a high quality chess curriculum designed for teaching chess in schools. The lessons are appropriate for children and adults including club players. In addition to lessons, there are themed puzzles, videos and chess play. Highly recommended to coaches seeking to train tournament-ready players or looking for quality material to use in their own lessons. It also has voiced lessons for teaching students as young as 5 who cannot yet read.
ICC has historically been an international site for serious adult chess players. It has less structure. Members use the areas that most interest them: online play, observing live games between titled players, watching videos, etc. There are learning plans teachers can use to teach beginners. It may appeal to chess coaches interested in something just for their own personal use and those wishing to check out the new ICC offerings to selectively customize into an after-school program.
Both Learning Chess and ICC want your feedback and are vying to become part of the ACIS initiative. In exchange for the free membership, ACF will ask you to fill out a survey at a later date.
Chess Kid is the curriculum currently in use by the Alabama Chess in Schools (ACIS) Initiative. Kids love it. Like Learning Chess, it is a self instruction tool that has been redesigned for Chess in School and after school programs. The package has great appeal to elementary school age children (and a few of us adult coaches). It is the leading scholastic chess curriculum in the United States. Includes: lessons, puzzles, videos, and kid-safe chess play over the internet.
All complimentary memberships extend through May, 2017.
- Be a chess coach (or an administrator) of a scholastic chess program in Alabama.
- Purchase a one year ACF Coach membership ($12). If you are currently a member, your membership will be extended for one year. Payment must be made with a credit card, debit card, or Paypal account with the coach's name; the ACF membership will be entered using the name on the payment account.
What Happens Next?
If you ordered the Learning Chess or ICC bonuses, you will receive an email with instructions for setting up your accounts within 1-2 weeks.
If you requested a Chess Kid membership bonus, go to chesskid.com and set up a free basic coach account for yourself. You will be assigned a user id. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your chess kid userid and the date of your ACF membership purchase. Your membership will then be upgraded to gold within 1-2 weeks.
For member support regarding ACF memberships, contact email@example.com. For support regarding bonus memberships, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.